Yunnan Baiyao Dog Dosage Guide
How Much Do I Give?
Guidelines commonly used for bleeding dogs are as follows:
- Active internal bleeding – One capsule per 15 – 20 pounds of body weight, four times a day, for 1 -2 days.
- After active bleeding has stopped – One capsule per 20-30 pounds of body weight, two to three times a day, for 3-7 days.
- Maintenance recommended dose is 1 capsule per 30 – 50 pounds of body weight, two to three times per day.
- Dogs from 10 to 30 pounds, give 1 capsule by mouth two times a day.
- Dogs 30 to 60 pounds, give 2 capsules two times a day.
- Dogs over 60 pounds, give 2 capsules three times a day.
Common dose for cats:
- 1/2- 1 capsule once daily is recommended. Some cat owners have success mixing Yunnan Bai Yao with fish-based cat food.
While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, Yunnan Baiyao may cause side effects in some dogs. The most common side effect of Yunnan Baiyao is stomach upset i.e. vomiting and diarrhea.
Yunnan Baiyao should not be used in dogs with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
Yunnan Baiyao should be used with caution in dogs with liver disease and is often used every other day or for a limited period.
Yunnan Baiyao has been shown to be safe if given with antibiotics, vaccines, pain medication and other drugs such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
It is not approved for use in pregnant or lactating pets.
This herbal supplement is intended for short term (acute) use. There have been limited studies to identify side effects of long-term use in dogs and cats. There is some possible evidence that this medicine may elevate liver markers if given daily for prolonged periods of time.
After the acute phase it is best to dose on alternating days, or for a 5-day on 5-day off cycle that repeats.