Yunnan Baiyao Dog Dosage Guide
How Much Do I Give?
In dogs, guidelines commonly used in bleeding dogs:
- Active internal bleeding – One capsule pet 15 – 20 pounds four times a day for 1 -2 days.
- After active bleeding has stopped – One capsule pet 20-30 pounds two to three times a day for 3-7 days.
- Maintenance dose recommended is 1 capsule per 30 – 50 pounds two to three times per day.
- Other common recommendations in dogs include:
- Dogs from 10 to 30 pounds, give 1 capsule by mouth two times a day.
- Dogs 30 to 60 pounds, give 2 capsules two times a day.
- Dogs over 60 pounds, give 2 capsules three times a day.
- In cats, a common dose of 1/2- 1 capsule once daily is recommended. Some cat owners having success mixing Yunnan Bai Yao with fish-based cat food.
While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, Yunnan Baiyao may cause side effects in some dogs. The most common side effect of Yunnan Baiyao is stomach upset e.g. vomiting and diarrhea
Yunnan Baiyao should not be used in dogs with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
Yunnan Baiyao should be used with caution in dogs with liver disease and is often used every other day or for a limited period of days.
Yunnan Baiyao has been shown to be safe if given with antibiotics, vaccines, pain medication and other drugs such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
There have been limited long-term studies to identify side effects in dogs and cats. It is not approved for use in pregnant or lactating pets.
Do not give Yunnan Baiyao on an ongoing basis. It is best to give it on alternating days, or for a 5-day on, 5-day off cycle that repeats. There is some possible evidence that this medicine may elevate liver markers if given daily for prolonged periods of time.